Australia Japan Society – Far North Queensland
The Australia Japan Society of FNQ Inc. is located in Cairns was chartered on 21st November 1981 by a small group of local Cairns business people with an interest in both Japan the people and the culture. This small group of business people, and their families and friends regularly arranged the meet and greet for the then, once per week, Japanese flight into Cairns, via Papua New Guinea.
- The AJS FNQ Society is a not-for-profit, non-political, non-racial and non-sectarian organisation.
- Our main objective is to promote goodwill and strengthen business, social and cultural relationships between the people of Australia, (particularly Cairns) and Japan (particularly the Sister Cities of Minami Tokushima and Oyama Tochigi) through common interests, mutual understanding and valuable friendships.
- Also to offer interesting and informative Japan related activities to members and the general public of Cairns and the Aussie culture to the visitors from Japan.
- To be involved and a point of contact for similar Japan based groups or individuals that are interested in Cairns and vice versa, to be a point of contact for the local community and members wishing to travel to Japan.
- A high focus also is to promote the educational exchange between Australia and Japan through the Annual AJS FNQ Student Scholarship Program.
- To encourage friendships and interests between Australia and Japanese people.
- Where possible encourage provide opportunities and facilities for ongoing contact between Australians and the people of Japan.
- And to work with and cooperate with other organisations in Australia and Japan with similar objectives.
PO Box 2188
Cairns Qld 4870